B A R C H E T T A A L T E R A T I O N S
These are my findings in which way a standard barchetta should be altered
to meet US regulations. The findings are partially based on those of an
European Ford Escort.
Based on this, I think it should be possible to overcome most, if not all
problems. But as I'm not a Registered Importer, I'm just guessing...
The barchetta probably will comply with Standard nos.:
- 102 Transmission Shift Lever Sequence
- The barchetta does not have a safety precaution against accidentally
putting in reverse apart from a little bit of resistance (no hidden
knobs, no pushing down the stick), but 571.102 does not say anything.
- 103 Defrosting and Defogging Systems
- 104 Windshield Wiping and Washing Systems
- 105 Hydraulic Brake Systems
- 106 Brake Hoses
- 107 Reflecting Surfaces
- 109 New Pneumatic Tires
- 113 Hood Latch Systems
- 116 Brake Fluids
- 118 Power-Operated Window Systems
- 124 Accelerator Control Systems
- 201 Occupant Protection in Interior Impact
- 202 Head Restraints
- 203 Impact Protection for the Driver From the Steering Control System
- 204 Steering Control Rearward Displacement
- 205 Glazing Materials
- 206 Door Locks and Door Retention Components
- 207 Seating Systems
- 209 Seat Belt Assemblies
- 210 Seat Belt Assembly Anchorages
- 211 Wheel Nuts, Wheel Discs and Hubcaps
- 212 Windshield Retention
- 214 Side Impact Protection
- 216 Roof Crush Resistance
- 219 Windshield Zone Intrusion
- 301 Fuel System Integrity
- 302 Flammability of Interior Materials
The barchetta probably will have to be altered to meet the following
- 101 Controls and Displays
- The telltails of 'Parking Brake Applied', identified by a (!) symbol, and
'Brake Failure', identified by a (O) symbol, should be substituted by the
words 'Park' and 'Brake'.
We will ask the factory if it's possible to produce an alternative telltale
- Recalibration of the speedometer/odometer from kilometers to miles per
The car is also sold in the UK, so a speedometer in MPH is readily available.
- 108 Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment
- Installation of U.S.-model sealed beam headlamps
It's not clear weather this will prove to be a problem. Lightning will have
to be changed: parkinglights are little white bulbs in the reflector of the
high beam, instead of seperate amber lights.
- Installation of sidemarker lamps and reflectors
- Installation of a high-mounted stop lamp.
This is possible by installing a rear spoiler with third brakelight
- 110 Tire Selection and Rims
- Installation of a tire information placard.
- 111 Rearview Mirrors
- Replacement of the driver's side rearview mirror with one having a flat
i don't know whether the drivers' side mirror is flat or curved (probably curved...)
- inscription of the required warning statement on the passenger side
rearview mirror: "Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear".
- 114 Theft Protection
- Installation of a warning buzzer system.
A warning to the driver shall be activated whenever the key has been left in
the locking system and the driver's door is opened.
- 115 Vehicle Identification Number
- Installation of a VIN plate on the left side of the vehicle that is readable
from outside the driver's side of the windshield.
- 208 Occupant Crash Protection
- Installation of an air bag warning label
- installation of a seat belt warning buzzer.
According to 49 CFR part 581 (Bumper Standard), the
vehicle shall meet damage criteria when impacted by a pendulum-type test
device at an impact speed of 1.5 m.p.h., and when impacted by a pendulum-type
test device at 2.5 m.p.h., followed by an impact into a fixed collision
barrier while traveling forward, then rearward, at 2.5 m.p.h.
Each lamp or reflective device except license plate lamps shall be free
As the headlights of the barchetta are not on the edge of the nose, it's
probable the lights will not crack at this low speed.
I found the following table in my original Fiat workshop manual:
|barchetta tailpipe emmissions||CO (%)||HC (p.p.m.)||CO2 (%)|
|Before catalytic convertor||0.4 ÷ 1||<= 600||>= 12|
|After catalytic convertor||<= 0.35||<= 90||>= 13|